We are a non-profit research institute developing online games that help speed up disease research for the benefit of all people. We are seeking a Full Stack Software development volunteer to help refactor and debug our Laravel code and adapt the platform . This is an opportunity to participate in a high impact / high visibility citizen science project (StallCatchers.com) that is accelerating Alzheimer’s disease research by engaging thousands of public volunteers in online activities, as well as the development of new similar projects. PBS documentary about this project: https://youtu.be/k7lXJDNaQ5o
We have two specific needs right now: 1) debug/refactor the existing code to make it stable and scalable, and 2) adapt the existing platform to a new kind of disease research (mostly involves simple interface modifications).
Since public visibility is a factor in project success, any volunteer joining the team understands and accepts the possibility of mainstream media and social media exposure.
● Experience developing with PHP / Laravel / MySQL / nodejs
● Experience collaborating on software dev using git-based version control systems
● Strong organizational and time management skills (the ability to self-manage)
● Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and learn-on-the-fly
● Experience using productivity and collaboration tools (e.g., Slack, Google Docs, etc.)
● Develop PHP (Laravel framework) code to support software updates and feature development
● Write SQL queries
● Supporting planning activities by providing time/effort estimates
● Develop and/or execute unit tests